Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Shout Eureka!


Main Street, Eureka, Utah

September 3rd, 2013 -- My career has allowed me to travel through Utah, Idaho, New Mexico and western Wyoming periodically.  Most of the time it's hotels and high schools but I've always tried to mix in a bit of adventure when I can.  I was super excited and volunteered for the Delta, Fillmore, Richfield, Beaver leg of the Utah High School Tour because summer has kept my chained to the desk for far too long.
Pioneer Memorial outside of Goshen, Utah
My brother agreed to go with me on this EPIC adventure through history and across the miles. On this trips we would find pioneers, petroglyphs, lava tubes and end with a bear hunt... again, EPIC!

First stop, Eureka! The town has a history of mining and while it's not necessarily a ghost town, there aren't many who still live in the town. There is quite a bit of history in Eureka and on a Tuesday afternoon the whole place seemed abandoned. Truth is there is a small community which still calls the place home.


In the center of town is the protected cabin of Porter Rockwell, the destroying angel.  "Old Port" and my great-great-great-great-grandfather "Wild Bill" Hickman were contemporaries and rode together often so it's possible I could have actually been in the same cabin my own ancestor once stood.

Porter Rockwell's Cabin, Eureka, Utah

Inside Porter Rockwell's Cabin, Eureka, Utah
For the first stop on our EPIC adventure Eureka was a great destination. After about an hour exploring we were off to Delta via state highway 6.