Saturday, September 7, 2013

Going on a Bear Hunt...


September 7th, 2013 Wayne County, Utah -- I went on a bear hunt, a bear hunt.  The dogs treed a big one. I wasn't afraid- not me.
I have a cousin who raises hunting dogs for hunting mountain lions/bears and I've been dying to go out with him because the whole life is so foreign to me.  On the tail of our EPIC trip through central Utah I finally got my chance.

We woke up at 4:30 and drove to meet the hunter and his family in Torrey, Utah and soon we were on the Boulder Mountain range overlooking Capitol Reef National Monument.
The dogs started barking excitedly as soon as we hit the mountain because they could tell there were bears everywhere!


After about an hour we had two sets of bears being chased. We followed one set that had treed a mother bear and her cubs.  After watching those beautiful animals for about 30 minutes we left them to follow the hunter who had harvested a monster of a bear 5 miles away.


Now I’m not advocating hunting either way. I've wanted to experience a dog hunt for quite some time and I must admit it was amazing to see the dogs in action and my cousin who knows the very sounds of each of his dogs and loves them each individually. Then there is the fact that monster bears are out there in places that we frequent and camp and most of the time as outdoor enthusiast we are none the wiser.

What an awesome experience and adventure!