Sunday, August 15, 2010

Epic Relay (Logan, UT to Jackson, WY)

Aug. 15th, 2010 -- Okay if your are going to wait almost two months between posts then you better have something "epic" to share.  Just yesterday I finished the Epic Relay between Logan, UT and Jackson, WY (Teton Village.  The relay was my second race having down Wasatch Back a couple of years ago before it became the Ragnar Relay.
Okay, so the concept is pretty straight forward- you put together a team of 12 runners in two vehicles and run three different legs over the course of 30'ish hours between Logan and Jackson (194 miles). Each run is between 3-8 miles in length and and there are a 36 legs.
 I didn't get to train as much as I would have liked because of a back injury I experienced a couple of weeks ago. I must admit I was a little anxious because I wasn't in the complete running form I would have liked. Additionally, even making it to the race itself proved an adventure because I couldn't get out of my work until Friday afternoon. Luckily my dad filled in for my first leg but I made it in time to run a 6.7 mile run in the county north of Soda Spring, Idaho at 10:00pm.

We were Van #1 and had the opportunity of sleeping a freezing night in Freedom, Wyoming where the stars filled the sky and light rain fell on us throughout the very short night. On Saturday I got to run a 5.7 mile run along the Snake River in Wyoming.
The race truly was Epic and it was great to have the finish line under the shadow of the impressive Tetons. My wife met me during the run and we explored Grand Teton National Park and visited a few of our favorite spots in Jackson Hole.
Then it was back in the car for a long drive back to Ogden, UT making a pit stop at one of our favorite spots "The Bluebird" in Logan, UT.

The weekend went by all too quickly but it was sure EPIC!