Friday, April 23, 2010

Along the banks of the Rio Puerco

I have some favorite places along the eroding banks of the Rio Puerco. For most of the year the small tributary river is a dry bed of sand and eroding banks, but for a few brief weeks during the spring the Rio Puerco carries water from the north to the Rio Grande to the south.

Getting to the Rio Puerco is almost as much of an enjoyment for me as the destination itself. Not far from the dry river banks where I've spent time in the past rock hounding for Agate, Jasper and Petrified wood is access to the river and the incredible vistas of a barren desert.

As I spend more time escaping the world in this desolate and barren landscape my eyes have better trained themselves to notice the beauty and treasures others most assuredly overlook. I now can spot out countless pottery shards washed up on the desolate banks- hollow echoes that this was once a place of economy and life.

There is a peace and calmness only per solitude can give. Of course, my tranquility is quickly shattered when I nearly step into a hole and encourage the desert to come alive in anger as the rattling of a serpent reminds me that while from a distance the desert is empty, the reality is that this land is "occupied"!