Sunday, March 14, 2010

Somewhere South of Carrizozo


March 14, 2010-- South of Carrizozo, New Mexico along SR-54 while traveling to Three Rivers Petroglyph site I spotted a handful of archaeologists digging along the highway. After stopping and asking the crew what they were doing they gave me and my family a quick tour of a dig they have been working on. 
To the North of the site, construction crews are beginning work on a massive undertaking to expand the highway to four lanes and soon the entire site will be covered by "progress". 
The archaeologists, from the State Archeology Office in Sante Fe, have been hard at work for nearly nine months frantically digging and recording the remnants of an ancient culture.
Thanks to those working on the site to take the time to show the foundations and evidences they've unearthed. I certainly will have a greater reverence and sadness as I travel the future road having had a glimpse of what lies beneath.